Now you can bring parents to Australia as immediate family members

b2ap3_large_Optimized-shutterstock_184489139-1 Guidelines on Bringing Parents to Australia

Australian citizens and permanent residents can now bring their parents to Australia as the definition of immediate family has changed to include parents. As per the new definition , biological parents, legal (including adoptive) parents, step-parents and parents-in-law are now considered as immediate family members. Hence, you can bring your parents to Australia under one of the three visas, if they are fully vaccinated and meet the visa requirements. 

Based on the nationality, the applicants can apply for one of these visas

  1. eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651) 

Citizens of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Republic of San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Vatican City are eligible to apply for this visa. With no visa fee and a processing time of one to four months, this visa lets the visa holders stay in Australia for 3 months.

     2. Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601)

This visa is exclusively for the citizens of Brunei, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR of China), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and the United States. The visa application can be lodged through the Australian ETA app also. This visa is quickly processed and you will be notified of the result within a day or two. You can stay for a period of 3 months in Australia under this visa.

The last option is the standard visitor visa route. With this visa, your parents can stay in Australia for 12 months. But, the visa has longer processing time ( 8 to 20 months) and comes with an application fee of $145.

All these visas can be applied by the parents themselves or by their children who are Australian citizens or permanent residents on their parents' behalf. You will be asked to produce documents to prove your nationality, relationship with the children, and recognized vaccination certificates.

Found it helpful? We can help you take it further. Contact us and get all your queries on PR, visas, migration, scholarships, and others answered today! 

Related Posts

new-logo_white Guidelines on Bringing Parents to Australia
Speak to our Consultant