Learn everything you need to know about Australia Student Visa and get end to end expert guidance from us.
Turn your Study Abroad Dream to Degrees Abroad in Australia
What is Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)?
The Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) is a temporary visa designed for individuals who wish to visit Australia for various purposes such as tourism, business activities, or visiting sponsored family members. It offers different streams, each with its own set of rights and entitlements. The available streams include
- Tourist (apply in Australia),
- Tourist (use outside Australia),
- Sponsored Family,
- Business Visitor,
- Frequent Traveller, and
- Approved Destination Status.
The Visitor Visa allows you to stay in Australia for a period of three, six, or twelve months, depending on your specific visa and stream. It's important to note that if you apply for the tourist stream (apply in Australia), you must already be in Australia during the application process. For all other streams, you need to apply from outside Australia and be present in that country when a decision is made on your visa application.
Each stream of the Visitor Visa offers different rights and entitlements. For example, the Business Visitor and Frequent Traveller streams allow you to engage in specific business activities during your stay in Australia.
If you are an international student, you can initially enter Australia with a visitor visa and later apply for a student visa. Additionally, if your student visa without the 'No Further Stay' condition is expiring, you can extend your stay in Australia by applying for a specific visitor visa stream. Some visitor visa streams also permit you to undertake a course in Australia lasting up to three months. However, if you plan to pursue a course longer than three months, you will need to obtain a different visa while in Australia.
It's important to understand that each stream of the Australia visa subclass 600 has its own unique features and requirements. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully consider your specific needs and objectives when choosing the appropriate stream for your visit to Australia.
Purpose of the Visitor Visa Subclass 600
- The visa allows individuals to visit Australia for tourism purposes
- It permits individuals to engage in certain business activities in Australia, such as attending conferences, meetings, or negotiations. The Business Visitor and Frequent Traveller streams cater specifically to these purposes.
- The Sponsored Family stream of the visa enables individuals to visit their family members who are Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens living in Australia.
- Approved Destination Status stream allows tourists from specific countries who are travelling in an organised tour group to visit Australia.
- International students can enter Australia with a visitor visa and later apply for a student visa while in the country. This provides them with an opportunity to familiarise themselves with the environment and make necessary arrangements before commencing their studies.
- If an individual's student visa without the 'No Further Stay' condition is expiring, they can extend their stay in Australia by applying for a specific visitor visa stream.
- Some visitor visa streams permit individuals to undertake courses lasting up to three months in Australia. This allows individuals to pursue short-term educational or vocational programs.
- The visa facilitates individuals who intend to visit Australia as part of a cruise, allowing them to disembark and explore the country during their cruise itinerary.
Stream Options for Visitor Visa Subclass 600
- Tourist Stream (Apply in Australia): For any purpose other than medical treatment/business, a visitor visa to Australia provides the opportunity to travel on holiday, as part of a cruise, or meet up with family and friends. It may come with just one journey abroad or numerous trips overseas - the outcome of which can be checked on your visa grant letter or VEVO documentation.
- Tourist Stream (Apply Outside Australia): The Visitor visa subclass 600 is not far off from its first tourist stream counterpart - there are some significant differences though. Peruse your VEVO documents or visa grant letter to determine whether you have been granted a single entry or multiple travel option with subclass 600. Additionally, you may be able to remain in Australia for more than 12 months provided that all the criteria are met and the applicant happens to be a parent, step-parent, stepmother, or step-father of an individual who holds permanent resident status or Australian citizenship.
- Sponsored Family Stream: The Visitor visa stream 600 allows individuals to carry out similar activities within Australia as other tourist visas. However, there are some distinctions with regard to the duration of approved stay, rights for international travel, and necessary requirements from the Department of Home Affairs. Generally, it is granted with a single-time international journey option as well as a 12-month period of authorised presence in the country.
In addition, an eligible family member who holds Permanent Resident status or Australian citizenship must take on the role of sponsor for those wanting the Visitor Visa 600. For further details concerning all that is required regarding sponsored family visitor visa 600, do not hesitate to get in touch with any of our professional migration agents.
- Business Visitor Stream: Do you need to make a brief business-related trip to Australia? The Visitor Visa 600 application form might be the right one for you. It offers both single and multiple travel options, allowing you to perform activities related to your visit - such as making general employment or commerce enquiries. However, this visa does not permit the selling of products or services in Australia or working for an individual or organisation in any capacity.
The Frequent Traveller stream also enables these types of activities, yet it differs from the Business Visitor category because it has additional conditions and requires applicants to have a Chinese passport when applying from China.
- Frequent Traveller Stream: The Australian visa stream enables people to enjoy a cruise or vacation, visit friends and family, or take part in business visitor activities. With some similarities to the Tourist Stream (apply outside Australia) and the Business Visitor stream, it allows for a 10 year stay in Australia - however, only 3 months are permitted on each individual visit. On your Australian visa grant letter, you can find details about how long your visa permits you to remain in Australia.
For those with Chinese passports now residing overseas, they may apply for the visa from China itself. By holding such a permit one may journey back and forth from China up to multiple times during their time in Australia.
- Approved Destination Status Stream: As a Chinese citizen, the visitor visa type grants you access to Australia for a group tour organised by a registered travel agent. You can select single or multiple entry options, and the Department of Home Affairs will consider the duration of your group trip when determining how long you are able to stay in Australia. It is necessary to apply for this visa from within China as all decisions about it are made by the DHA. During your visit, you are allowed to participate in any activities part of your group tour.
Eligibility Criteria for Visitor Visa Subclass 600
- Visitor Visa 600 Health Insurance and Health Requirement
It is a must to satisfy the health requirement of the Department of Home Affairs to get a visitor visa. You must arrange a health examination as part of meeting the requirement, like when applying for a student visa. Our counsellors can help you with this simple step.
Besides, you must spend on all your health-related costs when in Australia. Therefore, you must have adequate health insurance to pay for any sudden treatment that you possibly require in Australia. This can cost you a lot, so we strongly recommend overseas health coverage for Visa 600 as well.
- Character Requirement
Meeting this requirement means having good character before applying for a visa and during your stay in Australia with that visa. To meet the requirement, you must pass the Australian character test. The requirements stipulated under the Migration Act 1958 help the Department of Home Affairs decide whether a visa applicant has good character.
- Monetary Requirements
Every visitor visa stream requires you to get access to sufficient amounts of money for your stay in Australia. It also necessitates you and any of your family members not owe any amount of money to the Australian government.
- Genuine Visitor Requirements
You must not only plan on being in Australia only for a limited period but also act as per the stay period and any other conditions associated with the visa.
- No Extension Option
You cannot extend the visitor visa subclass 600 to stay longer in Australia with it. If you want to remain here longer, you must submit an application for a different visa that best suits your circumstances.
- No Option to Include Your Family in Your Application
Adding family members to your visitor visa subclass 600 application is impossible. In other words, if you want to bring your family to Australia, it is a must to make a separate visa application for them.
- Single Entry, Multiple Entry, and No Travel
If you possess a visa with the multiple entry option, then you could travel internationally and come back to Australia as long as that visa stays valid. If there is no international travel facility on your visa, and you go away from Australia, you must apply for a different visa to come back. If it has a single entry option, however, you could go to your home country and return to Australia only once.
Application Process for Visa Subclass 600
The application process for the Subclass 600 Visitor Visa typically involves the following steps:
- Identify the specific stream of the Subclass 600 Visitor Visa that aligns with your purpose of visit to Australia.
- Collect all the necessary documents to support your visa application. The exact documentation may vary depending on the chosen stream, but generally, you will need to provide your passport, proof of financial capacity, itinerary or travel plans, evidence of health insurance, and any supporting documents relevant to your purpose of visit (e.g., invitation letter, business documents, or sponsorship letter).
- Fill out the appropriate visa application form accurately and provide all the requested information.
- Submit the required visa application fee along with your application.
- Depending on your nationality and personal circumstances, you may be required to undergo biometric data collection (such as fingerprints and facial recognition) and/or a health examination.
Visa Conditions and Duration
The conditions and duration of the visa depend on the specific stream applied for, including the Tourist stream, Business Visitor stream, and Sponsored Family stream. Generally, the Subclass 600 visa grants a stay of up to three, six, or twelve months, depending on the stream and individual circumstances. It's important to note that this visa typically prohibits the visa holder from working in Australia, and they must abide by Australian laws and visa conditions during their stay.
Visitor Visa Extension and Reapplication
If your subclass 600 visa is due to expire, the Australian Visitor Visa Extension is ideal. It will extend your stay for three, six, or twelve months, depending on your personal circumstances.
This extension will be offered only to people who intend to stay in Australia for tourist purposes.
A variety of documents will be necessary in order to apply for a visa extension. These could include:
- Your passport (with blank pages) must be valid for at least three months after the e-visa expiration date.
- application form completed
- Evidence of sufficient funds to remain in Australia
The Subclass 600 Visitor Visa enables individuals to visit Australia for various purposes. With different streams and flexible stay durations, it offers opportunities for tourism, business activities, family visits, and more. It is important to meet the requirements and comply with visa conditions for a successful visit.
Planning to apply for the Subclass 600 visa? Contact AECC for expert guidance and support throughout your visa application process.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Visitor Visa Subclass 600 is designed for individuals who wish to visit Australia for tourism, visiting family or friends, or engaging in business-related activities.