Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
This graduate visa is for international students who have recently graduated from Australian institution(s). This visa allows the international students to live, study and work after finishing their studies for a period of 18 months to 4 years.
This visa has two streams: Graduate work stream and Post-study work stream.Speak With Us Today
- be under 50 years of age
- hold an eligible visa
- be in Australia
- meet the 2-year Australian study requirement
- hold adequate health insurance
- meet health and character requirements
- meet English language requirements
- meet specific requirements of the stream
The Australian study requirement can be satisfied if the visa applicant has completed CRICOS-registered, one or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications in the past 6 months, which meet the following conditions.
- The total CRICOS registered duration of the course/s is at least two academic years (92 weeks)
- The study was completed in at least 16 calendar months
The visa applicant must satisfy the English language requirement with either of the following test formats:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – an overall score of at least 6 with a minimum score of 5 in each of the four test components
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic – an overall score at least 50 with a minimum score of 36 each in each of the four test components
- Occupational English Test (OET) – a score of at least B in each of the four test components
- Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) – an overall score of at least 64 with 4 for listening, 4 for reading, 14 for Writing and 14 for speaking
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) – an overall test score of at least 169 with a minimum score of at least 154 in each of the four test components
The visa applicant must have sat the English language test in the three years before applying and the results should be provided with the visa application.
- The visa applicant and dependant family members included in the application must meet health requirements by completing the required health examinations as part of the visa application process.
- All visa applicants who are in Australia and 16 years of age or older must satisfy character requirements. S/he must provide evidence of clearance or should have applied for an Australian Federal Police check, in the 12 months prior to application date.
- All visa applicants must have adequate health insurance.
This is for international students who have recently graduated and possess the skills and qualification for one of the occupation in Skilled Occupation List (SOL). This visa is valid for 18 months from the date of grant.
The applicant must meet the following requirements for the grant of the visa:
- Nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and provide evidence that s/he holds a successful skill assessment outcome in the nominated skilled occupation from a relevant assessing authority.
- Prove that degree(s), diploma(s), or trade qualification(s) used to meet the Australian study requirement is closely related to nominated skilled occupation.
This visa is for international students who applied their first student visa on, or after, November 5, 2011 and have graduated with higher education degree(s) from Australian education provider(s). This visa is valid for 2 to 4 years, depending upon the highest qualification obtained in Australia.
- For Bachelor Degree / Bachelor Degree with Honours / Masters by Coursework Degree / Masters (extended), the visa would last for 2 years from the grant date
- For Masters by Research Degree applicants, the visa would last for 3 years from the grant date
- For Doctoral Degree applicants, the visa would last for 4 years from the grant date
The following family members can apply for this visa to join the main applicant in Australia:
- partner (married or de facto)
- dependent children
These family members must meet the requirements for including family members in the application and provide documentary evidence of their relationship to the main applicant. They must meet the health, character (if applicable) and insurance requirements necessary for the grant of the visa.
If the family members are onshore, the main applicant can include family members in the visa application at the time of lodgement. However, if the family members are offshore, they can apply for this visa as subsequent entrants upon the grant of the visa of the main applicant.
This visa allows the visa holder/s to stay in Australia temporarily for the duration of the visa with full work, study and travel rights.
Main applicant and family members must hold adequate health insurance and comply with the Australian law throughout the visa period.
Skill assessment is required only for applicants who are applying for Temporary Graduate visa under Graduate Work stream. It is not required for the applicants who are eligible for Post Study Work stream.
Evidence of AFP application or report is mandatory at the time to visa application whereas overseas police check is to be provided only upon request by DHA.
Yes, all dependent family members in the application who are 16 years of age or older needs to submit police check(s) as per the character requirement.
Yes, however, only Chest X-ray will be reused by DHA if it was done within last 12 months and all other required tests can be requested by the DHA again depending upon the situations.
Applicant needs to apply Temporary Graduate visa within 6 months of the course completion date.
For the purpose of 485 visa application, English test results are valid for 3 years and should be valid at the time of visa application lodgement.
No, for the main applicant, Temporary Graduate visa cannot be applied from offshore. However, for the dependent applicants, Temporary Graduate visa can be processed while offshore provided that Temporary Graduate visa of the main applicant has been granted.
Technically one can apply for Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) – Graduate Work stream with a skill assessment application in progress. However, if the skill assessment is unsuccessful then the visa application will be refused.
Currently, the base application charge for the primary applicant as a subsequent entrant is $1470. For every additional applicant who is 18 or over, the charge is $735 and for every additional applicant who is under 18, the charge is $370.
What our students say about us
Don’t just take our word for it, check out what our satisfied students are saying about us
"I was concerned regarding my PR visa application as my family was offshore. I am grateful to AECC Global team for providing continual support from skill assessment to facilitating our family visa application for PR. "
"Thank you AECC Global for working on my visa over the last couple of months and for quick response when needed. I really appreciate your professional work!"
"Dan from AECC Global was very attentive with my enquiry. During that time I haven't decided yet where to go, he gave me input to help me make my decision. He assisted me throughout the process of the application from the application form to GTE. My student Visa has just been recently granted and I couldn't thank AECC enough for the assistance!"
"Very professional, take your case seriously and try his best to help you. Kind and honest. Big thanks to Sanjib. I would highly recommend AECC to all my friends!"
"Thank you so much AECC Global for the success of my visa application! Very special thanks to my ever active and patient agent, Ms. Joana Marie Galang-Valdez for the genuineness and hard work in facilitating my application. It was really an amazing job because it was granted so quick! It was approved the day after it was lodged and its really a great surprise! Cheers!"
"Permanent residency granted! Thank you to AECC global for helping me with my Permanent Residency, especially to Sanjib. Thank you for all your time and effort. ☺️ I highly recommend AECC global for your student visa, graduate visa and permanent residency visa. They have very friendly and helpful staff."
"I have been a client of AECC Global since 2010. From that time, they have been helping me for all visa and education related matters. I am very happy with their professional advice and friendly behaviour. So, I would like to recommend all to visit them for your migration pathway."
Want to find out if this is the right
visa for your circumstances?
Ask one of our accredited visa and migration
counsellors today by simply filling in the form below