Engineers work in a diverse range of industries in Australia, from telecommunications to pharmaceuticals, mining to information technology. Traditionally, engineering has been divided into four broad disciplines: chemical, civil, electrical and mechanical. The profession has changed over time, and there are now numerous sub-disciplines and emerging streams of engineering, such as environmental, geomatics, mining and software.
Here are types of engineers and the work it entails:
- Chemical engineers study the transformation process of raw materials into usable end products.
- Civil engineers are involved in the planning, design, and construction of the built environment and the physical infrastructure that supports modern society. This encompasses all forms of construction, including bridges, dams, sewerage systems, large buildings, railways, and harbours.
- Electrical engineers are responsible for designing, constructing and maintaining the systems used for the generation, transmission, and utilization of electricity.
- Electronics engineers specialize in the use of electronics, such as those found in computer, communication and telecommunication systems.
- Environmental engineers assess and manage the effects of human and other activity on the natural environment.
- Mechanical engineers design, organize and manage the construction, operation, and maintenance of mechanical equipment and machinery.
- Mining engineers specialize in mine development and management, extractive technology, mine reclamation and minerals processing.
Becoming an Engineer in Australia
To become an engineer in Australia, you can study an engineering course specific to the type of engineer you want to be. There are plenty of engineering courses for international students in Australia. In fact, there are more than a thousand engineering courses available for international students all around Australia.
Having a Chemical Engineer Career
A chemical engineer or process engineer is involved in the research, design, development, construction, modification, and operation of industrial processes and machinery that are used to produce a diverse range of items. Depending on your specific role, you might be researching and developing new products from trial to commercialization, managing processes from testing in a small plant to full industrial-scale manufacturing, developing improvements to product lines, modifying processing plants, and designing and commissioning new plants. Chemical engineers can earn more than AUD$100,000 per year while it is to be expected to have a lower starting wage.
To become a chemical engineer in Australia, you will need to study a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in chemical engineering or industrial chemistry.
Having an Electrical Engineer Career
Electrical engineers design, develop and maintain electrical control systems and components through a mixture of technical knowledge and commercial awareness. Electrical engineers have the technical knowledge, commercial awareness and can project manage and multitask. Electrical engineers can earn more than AUD$100,000 per year while it is to be expected to have a lower starting wage. To become an electrical engineer in Australia, you will need to study a Bachelor or Master’s degree in electrical or electronics engineering.
Have a Mechanical Engineer Career
Mechanical Engineers are responsible for designing and building mechanical systems and machines of all types. They build tools and equipment that make the world run. Modern lifestyles depend on the continued achievements of Mechanical Engineers. Mechanical engineers can earn more than AUD$100,000 per year while it is to be expected to have a lower starting wage. To become a mechanical engineer in Australia, you will need to study a Bachelor or Master’s degree in mechanical engineering.
Starting your engineering career after graduation
After graduating and applying for your post-graduate visa, you would need to get your skills assessment form Engineers Australia, the governing body for engineers in Australia, if you want to apply for your permanent residency.
Our expert counsellors will be able to help you with your course application and visa application.