Can I Change Course As An International Student?

b2ap3_large_b891cebd2286a77220db11b1068da008-1024x512 Can I Change Course As An International Student? - Blog

Can an International Student Change a Course

As an international student in Australia, choosing a course is a huge decision. Sometimes you arrive, and you realise that your chosen course is not the best option for you. Our guide will help you with your current study situation, especially if you are not sure what to do

FAQ's on Changing Course

I am not enjoying my current program, what should i do ?

Speak to an international student advisor or a counsellor at your institution. They can provide support and help you determine the best course of action. This may range from additional academic support to help you adjust to Australian standards, to helping you with considering your career goals. If you are having difficulty with stress or mental health issues, then they may also refer you to a qualified professional.

Can I change to another course at my Institution ?

If you want to study at the same institution, and at the same level (for example changing from a Bachelor of Business to Bachelor of Arts), then this should be done directly through your institution. You do not have to apply for another visa unless your current one is about to expire.

Can I Transfer to another Institution ?

If you have been studying in your primary program for less than six months, then you will need permission from your institution to transfer elsewhere. It means you have to be accepted into the new course then request a ‘letter of release’ from your current institution. This request must state the reasons why you are seeking the release. If this is accepted, then you will receive a new Confirmation of Enrolment from your new institution that will be electronically supplied to the Department of Home Affairs.

Please note that your current institution has the right to refuse your request. You will need to prove why continuing at your current institution is not in your best academic interests or that you have special circumstances surrounding the move.

If you have been studying in your primary program for longer than six months, then you are entitled to transfer to another institution without a release letter from your current institution. You will still need to be accepted into your new program and withdraw from your current program.

To apply to a new institution, visit any of our offices in Melbourne, Sydney, or Brisbane. Our consultants will be able to give you information regarding what courses you can apply for and which universities will have those courses.

Do I have to study at the same level ?

Students studying under the Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) must study at the same level or higher. If you want to study at a lower level, for example dropping from a Bachelor program to a diploma program, then you will need to apply for another student visa.

Credit: Australian Qualifications Framework


Will changing courses affect my Student Visa ?

Any changes impacting your course load and duration need to be discussed with the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). If you are no longer studying at the level you have been approved for then your visa may be cancelled. See the DHA guide to changing courses for more information.

Can I take a break from my studies ?

Studying in Australia is a condition of a student visa, so if you are not studying, then you will, in most circumstances, have to leave Australia. To prevent this from happening, come to any of our offices so our certified consultants can give you the proper advise you need.

If there are genuine reasons for deferring your studies, then inform your institution so they can advise the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). While you will still have to leave, then a case can be made for an extension of your visa to complete your studies. Please note that this decision is the responsibility of the DHA and extensions cannot be guaranteed by your institution.

Are you thinking about changing your course? Contact us today and get connected with one of out experienced Education Consultants who can help you with your next steps!

b2ap3_large_Generic-CTA-Banner-at-the-bottom Can I Change Course As An International Student? - Blog

Related Posts

new-logo_white Can I Change Course As An International Student? - Blog

Let's get social.

Speak to our Consultant