(Temporary) visa Subclass 870
Learn everything you need to know about Australia
Student Visa and get end-to-end expert guidance from us.
Learn everything you need to know about Australia Student Visa and get end-to-end expert guidance from us.
Turn your Study Abroad Dream to Degrees Abroad in Australia
Australia Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa Subclass 870
870 Visa: Highlights
Temporary for a period of 3 to 5 years
Possible to the maximum period of 10 years
Self-assistance or Assistance rendered by the sponsor
Reapplication of Visa
Allowed after the duration of stipulated 3 to 5 years.
What is an 870 Visa?
The 870 visa in Australia is a special type of visa called the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa. It allows parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents to visit Australia for up to 3 or 5 years at a time, with the possibility to extend for up to 10 years in total. This visa does not lead to permanent residency but offers a longer stay compared to other visitor visas, making it easier for families to spend time together. To apply, the parent must be sponsored by their Australian child, meet health and character requirements, and have adequate health insurance.
What are the benefits of Visa 870?
The 870 Visa Australia is a temporary visa that allows the parents of eligible Australian citizens to stay in Australia for a longer period. Some of the sponsored parent's visa benefits include:-
Longer Duration Stay: The 870 Visa Australia helps parents of Australian citizens stay in Australia for a period of three to five years. This visa helps you to stay in the country without the need to depart or reapply for one for five years.
Multiple Visits: With this visa, your parents have the flexibility to enter and exit Australia many times during the validity of the visa
Work Limitations: Though your parents are fit enough, they cannot work in Australia if they wish to do so. This visa does not allow them to work during the said period.
Access to Quality Healthcare: Your parents are eligible for the government's healthcare system that helps them with medical facilities and subsidised medicines.
Good Family Time: As your parents will be staying with you after a very long time, they will spend quality time with you. You can also give them the emotional and psychological support in their old age.The sponsor visa for parents needs sponsorship from a biological child who is capable of meeting up with the financial and other requirements. But the one point that needs to be kept in mind is that this is not the pathway to permanent residence for the parents.
Eligibility Requirements for 870 Visa
The following are some of the eligibility requirements of the applicant for the 870 Australia Visa. They are:
- You need to be either the biological parent, step-parent, or parents-in-law of the sponsor.
- You should be above 18 years of age.
- You have an approved sponsor.
- You have access to sufficient funds to meet the expenses during your stay in Australia.
- You are protected by proper health insurance during the tenure of your stay in Australia.
- You have a valid and genuine reason to stay in Australia.
- You comply with all the visa requirements.
Some of the eligibility requirements of the sponsor of the 870 parents visa are as follows:
- The sponsor of the 870 Visa should have been an Australian citizen for 4 years.
- The sponsor must have been the biological child of the parents. You can also sponsor the visa of your spouse’s parents.
- The sponsor should not have any debt with the Australian Government.
- The sponsor and the sponsor’s spouse's income should be to the tune of at least AUD 83454. In case, you do not have any partner, your single income should be equivalent to the amount stated.
870 Visa Checklist
The documents that are required for the 870 Visas Australia from both the sponsor and parents are:
- Both the sponsor and the parent must have a valid passport at the time of application.
- Passport-size photographs need to be per the application requirements.
- The applicant must meet the character requirements of the Australian government.
- Health certificates of the applicants from competent authorities.
- Sponsors need to meet the minimum income requirements that have been set up by the Government of Australia.
- Proof of Australian citizenship of the sponsors.
- Proof of family relationship in the form of birth certificate or family records.
- Any other relevant documents that are required by the immigration authorities.
How to Apply for an 870 Visa?
The sponsor visa for parents' application is divided into two main steps. They are:
- Step 1: Becoming an Eligible Sponsor
- Step 2: Applying for the 870 parent visa.
Step 1: Becoming an Eligible Sponsor
Before your parents apply for the 870 visa in Australia, you need to prove your eligibility for being a sponsor. To become a sponsor for your parents. You have to:
- Log into your ImmiAccount
- Complete the application form about the sponsorship of the family member.
- Attach the requisite documents.
- If your parents are already staying in Australia, you have to request the authorities for Permission to Apply in Australia.
- Wait till the application is processed. In case you have to submit requisite documents, the immigration authorities will notify you of the same. You also have the option to check your Australia visa status online.
When your application for sponsorship of your parents has been approved, you will receive a notification from authorities stating the following information:
- Your Sponsorship Transaction Reference Number (TRN).
- Your Responsibility as a Sponsor.
- Within six months from the date of approval, your parents need to apply for the sponsored parent visa.
Step 2: Applying for the 870 parent visa
All Australian visa applications can be submitted through the ImmiAccount of the Australian government. At the time of sponsorship approval,
- If your parents are staying in Australia they need to submit their visa application within 60 days of sponsorship approval.
- If your parents are outside Australia they need to submit their visa application within 6 months of sponsorship approval.
870 Visa Cost
The cost of the Australia 870 visa application is as follows. The cost is
- AUD 5,735 for a visa of 3 years
- AUD 11,470 for a visa of 5 years
You pay for the visa in two instalments. You need to pay the first instalment when you apply. And you need to pay the second instalment when the visa authorities ask you to.
Apart from the above-mentioned amount, you need to bear the cost of health checkups and police verifications.
870 Visa Processing time
The visa takes a minimum of three to four months to get processed. The 870 visa is the only visa where the processing time is less than expected. The time taken to get it processed may take a bit longer than expected in the case if the application is not been logged in properly.
870 Visa Conditions
In case you are the sponsor of the 870 parent visa. Some conditions need to be fulfilled. Some of the conditions are:
- You must be in a position to provide financial support along with accommodation during their visit and stay in Australia.
- You must inform the immigration authorities if any of your parents pass away during their visit to Australia.
- You are responsible for any debt that your parents incur during their visit to Australia.
Family is one of the strongest and most reliable backbone of any person. It is nice to have your parents with you when you are in a foreign country. Through the Australia Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa Subclass 870, you will be able to provide them with a lot of emotional support in their old age. We have given you all the information regarding the parent's 870 visa, in case of clarifications get in touch with our AECC counsellors for the same.