Parent Visa (Onshore And Offshore)
This visa 103 lets parents live temporarily / permanently in Australia if their child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.Speak With Us Today
The applicant might be eligible to apply for a parent category visa if:
- the applicant has been sponsored by their child who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- the child has been living in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years before the applicant lodges the visa application
- the applicant meets the Balance of family test criteria
- the applicant meets health and character requirements.
All applicants for a parent visa must meet the balance of family test. The balance of family test is designed to determine the extent of the applicant’s links to Australia.
The applicant meets the balance of family test if:
- at least half of the applicant’s children live permanently in Australia, or
- more of the applicant’s children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.
The following visa options allow a parent to live in Australia as a temporary or permanent resident. An applicant can only process one parent visa at a time; so if the applicant has an application under process for any type of parent visa and wants to switch to another type of parent visa, the applicant must withdraw the existing visa application at the same time or before applying for a new parent visa.
1. If the application is made outside Australia, the applicant can apply for one of the visas below:
- Parent visa (subclass 103)This is permanent visa with a processing time up to 30 years. However, the visa application charge is comparatively cheaper than other parent visas.
- Contributory parent (temporary) visa (subclass 173)This is a temporary visa with a higher visa application charge but significantly faster processing time.
2. If the application is made either in or outside Australia, the applicant can apply for the below visa:
- Contributory Parent Visa (subclass 143)This option is only applicable if the applicant is prepared to pay higher visa application charge for faster processing and has an assurance of support.If the applicant holds a Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 173):
- the applicant will pay a reduced first instalment of this visa application charge as s/he would have already paid some amount during the earlier visa application;
- this visa can be applied and granted only in Australia and should be applied before the temporary visa expires.
3. If the application is made in Australia, the applicant can apply for one of the visas below. However, for these visas, the main applicant must be aged, which currently is 65 years or more.
- Aged Parent Visa (subclass 804)This is a permanent visa which is only applicable if the applicant meets the age requirements. This visa has a processing time up to 30 years. However, the visa application charge is comparatively cheaper than other visas.
- Contributory aged parent (temporary) visa (subclass 884)This is a temporary visa which is only applicable if the applicant is prepared to pay higher visa application charge for faster processing and meets the age requirements.
- Contributory aged parent visa (subclass 864)This is a permanent visa which is only applicable if the applicant is prepared to pay higher visa application charge for faster processing, meets the age requirement and has an assurance of support.If the applicant holds a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa (subclass 884), the applicant:
- will pay a reduced first instalment of the visa application charge as s/he would have already paid some amount during the earlier visa application;
- can apply for a this before the temporary visa expires.
Applications for a permanent parent category visa require an assurance of support. It is a legal commitment from an individual or organization to give the applicant financial support so s/he does not have to rely on social security payments. The assurance covers the applicant and any family member included in the application. The person or organization required to give the applicant an assurance of support can be your sponsor or another person.
Parent and Aged Parent category visas are subject to capping on yearly basis. If the applicant is applying for a visa that has reached the capping limit, s/he must wait in a queue until more visa places become available. This might be for many years and the applicant will have to continue to meet all visa requirements.
As per the subclass of the parent category visa granted, the visa holder can:
- live in Australia for up to 2 years as a temporary resident, or
- live in Australia as an Australian permanent resident.
Yes, the applicant can apply for a Visitor visa. However, visitor visa is not designed for the purpose of remaining in Australia for extended periods to await a migration outcome. Therefore, the applicant must meet all requirements, including the genuine visitor criterion, for the visa to be granted.
Depending upon the type of visa applied, parent category visa allows an applicant to live in Australia for up to 2 years as a temporary resident, or live in Australia as an Australian permanent resident.
The best suited Parent visa option varies depending on the applicant’s circumstances such as whether s/he is applying in or outside of Australia, the processing time, visa application charges etc.
An applicant can apply for this visa in Australia if the current visa that the applicant holds allows to apply for another visa while in Australia. However, as this visa is designed for the offshore applicants, one will not be eligible for a Bridging visa to stay in Australia and one must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.
For an applicant applying Parent visa (subclass 143) directly, if s/he is more than 18 years at the time to application, the second installment charge is currently AUD 43,600; whereas, for an applicant who is less than 18 years at the time of application it is AUD 29,130.
As Parent visa (subclass 103) is subject to capping by the department, there is a long waiting time for this visa before it is approved, which currently is up to 30 years.
What our students say about us
Don’t just take our word for it, check out what our satisfied students are saying about us
"Thank you AECC Global for working on my visa over the last couple of months and for quick response when needed. I really appreciate your professional work!"
"I have been a client of AECC Global since 2010. From that time, they have been helping me for all visa and education related matters. I am very happy with their professional advice and friendly behaviour. So, I would like to recommend all to visit them for your migration pathway."
"I was concerned regarding my PR visa application as my family was offshore. I am grateful to AECC Global team for providing continual support from skill assessment to facilitating our family visa application for PR. "
"Permanent residency granted! Thank you to AECC global for helping me with my Permanent Residency, especially to Sanjib. Thank you for all your time and effort. ☺️ I highly recommend AECC global for your student visa, graduate visa and permanent residency visa. They have very friendly and helpful staff."
"Very professional, take your case seriously and try his best to help you. Kind and honest. Big thanks to Sanjib. I would highly recommend AECC to all my friends!"
"Thank you so much AECC Global for the success of my visa application! Very special thanks to my ever active and patient agent, Ms. Joana Marie Galang-Valdez for the genuineness and hard work in facilitating my application. It was really an amazing job because it was granted so quick! It was approved the day after it was lodged and its really a great surprise! Cheers!"
"Dan from AECC Global was very attentive with my enquiry. During that time I haven't decided yet where to go, he gave me input to help me make my decision. He assisted me throughout the process of the application from the application form to GTE. My student Visa has just been recently granted and I couldn't thank AECC enough for the assistance!"
Want to find out if this is the right
visa for your circumstances?
Ask one of our accredited visa and migration
counsellors today by simply filling in the form below